Adelberg Pediatric is an LGBTQ Friendly Practice
The relationship that our office has with your child and entire family is extremely important to us. We think of it as a dental home, a relationship of trust established between dentist, parents, and patient. A dental home means feeling safe, comfortable, and respected—because when a child feels good about visiting the dentist, the result is better dental health. We want you to know that our team at Adelberg Montalvan is committed to providing a dental home to all patients and families and we welcome LGBTQ members of the community to our practice.
What It Means to Be a LGBTQ-Affirming Dental Practice
We understand that it’s often the little things that make a big difference. Talking about having mom and dad help with brushing during a dental exam can make a child with two dads or two moms feel different. Misgendering a child who’s coming to terms with their identity, or making assumptions about boys being into sports and girls being into princesses—these are the types of things that happen on a nearly daily basis. As these small, unintentional insults add up over time, there’s a clear message being conveyed: you’re different. How is a child or family able to feel comfortable in that environment? Our goal is to make all families feel welcome at our practice, not only in the big ways, but in these small, subtle ways too. We are always available to speak prior to or during the appointment about these concerns.
As an LGBTQ-affirming dental practice, we commit to:
- Never making assumptions about your child or your family. We engage with your child in an open-ended way, allowing them to discuss their family or their identity in a manner that feels most comfortable for them.
- Using the correct pronouns chosen by your child.
- Acknowledging that the LGBTQ population is often underserved and faces greater health threats than their non-LGBTQ peers. We are doing everything we can to close this gap in care.
- Listening and learning from you.
- Respecting patient confidentiality.
- Using gender-neutral bathroom signage.
- Ensuring that all medical forms and paperwork allow you or your child to specify preferred gender and name.
- Creating a LGBTQ-friendly work environment by cultivating staff diversity and instituting nondiscrimination policies.
- Providing an affirming environment where children can be who they are and express themselves fully.
- Above all else, we consider ourselves allies to LGBTQ youth and families.
Our entire staff receives training on creating a friendly, affirming dental practice for all children and families. We want Adelberg Montalvan Pediatric Dental to be a safe space, no matter what your gender identity or sexual orientation.
Schedule an Appointment
Whether you’re a current patient or you’ve just found us, we’d love to have you visit our office. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.