Cuts and scrapes, nothing a little TLC and bandage can’t fix! But what happens when your child experiences pain that you can’t quite see? When it comes to toothaches, home remedies can help the pain go away, but you may need to seek professional help if you notice persistent aching – hey, even superheros have sidekicks!
What is a toothache?
A toothache occurs when there is pain caused to the nerves inside a tooth’s delicate pulp. Some minor toothaches may fade with time, but more frequently than not, toothaches present some kind of dental problem that requires a visit to our office.
What are the common causes of toothaches?
There are many reasons why your child may be experiencing a toothache:
- Tooth decay – the most common cause!
- Incoming teeth
- Chipped, cracked, or broken teeth
- Sinus infection
- Trapped food that causes teeth to shift
How can you treat toothaches?
1. If nothing looks wrong, try gently flossing both sides of the tooth. This could relieve any pain or soreness if there is trapped food stuck in between their teeth.
TIP: Just because there doesn’t look like there’s a problem, doesn’t mean there isn’t one – nerve damage, for example, has no symptoms besides pain.
2. Treat pain with an appropriate dosage of ibuprofen. Base the dose on your child’s age, weight, and the instructions indicated on the medication. You can also apply an ice pack to the affected area – one minute on, one minute off.
TIP: Never rub aspirin, or any painkiller, directly on your child’s gums. This will cause burns and severe discomfort.
3. If your child is experiencing pain throughout the day and into the night, seek professional help as soon as possible. It will help put your mind and your child’s mouth at ease if you have a dental expert take care of the problem.
If your child is experiencing a toothache or has any other oral pain or discomfort, contact the professionals Adelberg Montalvan. We specialize in caring for children’s teeth in a comfortable and caring environment. Give us a call or visit our website to schedule an appointment at any of our three locations.